Saturday, February 25, 2012

Avoiding the user login prompt for a reporting services report

Most of the stuff I have read on this is from 2004. I am wondering if
there is a easier fix to this problem.do you use NT authentication or basic authentication?
using NTLM the users can add the web site to the intranet list then the
current login/password will be used. (IE only) so there is no prompt for the
user.
basic authentication allways ask the user.
anonymous access... its anonymous, so no login but no security.
Enterprise edition of RS allow you to create your own authentication system
(like a form based authentication)
"Tim" <TimGoard@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1135719831.735427.54260@.f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Most of the stuff I have read on this is from 2004. I am wondering if
> there is a easier fix to this problem.
>|||Also, just in case you have a weird problem. I had a case where the issue
was that the server (it was a test server) was using DHCP (dynamic tcpip
address instead of fixed). When I went to a fixed IP address the probelm
went away. Obscure but thought I would mention it.
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"Jéjé" <willgart@.BBBhotmailAAA.com> wrote in message
news:u7ALlbzCGHA.2596@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> do you use NT authentication or basic authentication?
> using NTLM the users can add the web site to the intranet list then the
> current login/password will be used. (IE only) so there is no prompt for
> the user.
> basic authentication allways ask the user.
> anonymous access... its anonymous, so no login but no security.
> Enterprise edition of RS allow you to create your own authentication
> system (like a form based authentication)
> "Tim" <TimGoard@.gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1135719831.735427.54260@.f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> Most of the stuff I have read on this is from 2004. I am wondering if
>> there is a easier fix to this problem.
>|||I am new to web programming. I thought I needed to say that.
In my ASP.net app authentication is set to Windows. Is that the
authentication you are talking about? I set it to none and it stills
comes up with the login prompt.|||Could you open the following file:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\Reporting
Services\ReportServer\rsreportserver.config
Check the tag <UrlRoot> to see if your servername is entered correctly (e.g.
not set to localhost)
Hth,
Pieter
"Tim" <TimGoard@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1135792805.115690.18910@.g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>I am new to web programming. I thought I needed to say that.
> In my ASP.net app authentication is set to Windows. Is that the
> authentication you are talking about? I set it to none and it stills
> comes up with the login prompt.
>|||The <UrlRoot> is entered correctly.
The authentication tag in this file is:
<Authentication>
<Extension Name="Windows"
Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.Authentication.WindowsAuthentication,
Microsoft.ReportingServices.Authorization"/>
</Authentication>
I still have no idea how to overcome the windows login prompt for
showing the report in my asp.net app.|||Does your url to your reporting server include your server's ip address? If
it does, you'll have to enter the address into the end users local Intranet
security site.
From the end users machine, open IE.
Click on Tools>Internet Options
Click on the Security Tab then Local Intranet
Click on Sites
Click on Advanced
Enter in the url of your reporting server and click add.
Save your changes and try to access the site.
HTH
"Tim" wrote:
> The <UrlRoot> is entered correctly.
> The authentication tag in this file is:
> <Authentication>
> <Extension Name="Windows"
> Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.Authentication.WindowsAuthentication,
> Microsoft.ReportingServices.Authorization"/>
> </Authentication>
> I still have no idea how to overcome the windows login prompt for
> showing the report in my asp.net app.
>|||Where are you running the report off from? Your local Machine? or some
other machine?

No comments:

Post a Comment