Saturday, February 25, 2012

AWE + PAE + 3GB cause system to freeze?

Hi,
I have a server with 8Gb of memory
so the /3Gb and /PAE switches are in the boot.ini.
I'm using Win 2003 Ent. & SQL 2000 ent.
at regular basis, my system freeze for some seconds if the AWE option is on.
any idea of what's appends?
My server also host Analysis Services + IIS + Sharepoint + Reporting
Services.
thanks.
Jerome."Jéjé" <willgart@.BBBhotmailAAA.com> wrote in message
news:ecI4P2S0FHA.3000@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> I have a server with 8Gb of memory
> so the /3Gb and /PAE switches are in the boot.ini.
> I'm using Win 2003 Ent. & SQL 2000 ent.
> at regular basis, my system freeze for some seconds if the AWE option is
> on.
> any idea of what's appends?
> My server also host Analysis Services + IIS + Sharepoint + Reporting
> Services.
>
It's not generally recommended to use AWE if the server is not dedicated to
SQL Server. Leave the /3GB switch, but get rid of /PAE and AWE. Give 3GB
to SQL Server and leave 2G for Analysis Services, and 2G for IIS, Sharepoint
and Reporting.
David|||in this configuration, only 4Gb is used by the applications
AS consumme 200mb, 200mb for sharepoint & RS
SQL use 2.7 Gb
So I have a lot of free memory.
But also... for the moment I'm in dev mode, and only SQL Server is used, so
the other applications don't use any ressources and are in standby.
I'm just using DTS to load data in my databases.
"David Browne" <davidbaxterbrowne no potted meat@.hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:uFjaGMT0FHA.1028@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> "Jéjé" <willgart@.BBBhotmailAAA.com> wrote in message
> news:ecI4P2S0FHA.3000@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>> I have a server with 8Gb of memory
>> so the /3Gb and /PAE switches are in the boot.ini.
>> I'm using Win 2003 Ent. & SQL 2000 ent.
>> at regular basis, my system freeze for some seconds if the AWE option is
>> on.
>> any idea of what's appends?
>> My server also host Analysis Services + IIS + Sharepoint + Reporting
>> Services.
> It's not generally recommended to use AWE if the server is not dedicated
> to SQL Server. Leave the /3GB switch, but get rid of /PAE and AWE. Give
> 3GB to SQL Server and leave 2G for Analysis Services, and 2G for IIS,
> Sharepoint and Reporting.
> David
>

No comments:

Post a Comment