Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Backing up non-simple SQL Database

Hello.
I am responsible for backing up two Windows 2003 servers, one of which
contains a non-simple SQL database.
The tapedrive is a DLT1 without any automated loading (I must load a new
tape each day by hand).
I am using Microsoft's built in backup software, to backup all the important
data in our office.
I have a tape backup running daily, which automatically frees and relabels
any tape in the drive, then writes all the data in one go.
I am backing up any data from other PCs and from the system state of the
Server without the tape drive onto a hard drive and then backing this data
up on to the tape drive.
This is achieved by using the unamaged switch, like so:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntbackup.exe backup @.C:\BackupData\TapeBackup.bks /v:yes
/r:no /rs:no /hc:on /m normal /j "TapeBackup" /p "DLT" /l:s /um
And using task scheduler.
I was also attempting to do this with the SQL database; backing up the
database from within the SQL server (version 8) to the hard drive, and then
backing that up to tape.
The problem is that the backup that SQL server creates is still a database
and because its not "simple" ntbackup refuses to back it up.
I cannot tell SQL server to automatically backup to tape, as I do not know
the label or ID that the tape will have.
So the question is: how can I back up the database to the same tapedrive and
tape as the rest of our data without having to do so manually.
I appear to be using ntbackup in a way that is not really intended, but
cannot understand how to do automated (scheduled) backups without using the
/um switch - because you then need to specify which tape you want to use
somehow.
This would mean having a different schedule for every day of the week, every
week of the month and every month of the year (according to our backup
plan).
As things are currently, I am not backing up the SQL database, which is a
vital part of the business and this cannot be allowed to continue.
I would be very grateful if one of you guys could shed some light on how to
do this.
Thanks.
LawrenceHI,
U can restore ur database with header and lable in ur backup device.
sql server will detact the tape if ur hardware is RAID 5.
For more information about backup and copy to tape read BOL.
from
Killer
Wi-Surf Support wrote:
> Hello.
> I am responsible for backing up two Windows 2003 servers, one of which
> contains a non-simple SQL database.
> The tapedrive is a DLT1 without any automated loading (I must load a new
> tape each day by hand).
> I am using Microsoft's built in backup software, to backup all the importa
nt
> data in our office.
> I have a tape backup running daily, which automatically frees and relabels
> any tape in the drive, then writes all the data in one go.
> I am backing up any data from other PCs and from the system state of the
> Server without the tape drive onto a hard drive and then backing this data
> up on to the tape drive.
> This is achieved by using the unamaged switch, like so:
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntbackup.exe backup @.C:\BackupData\TapeBackup.bks /v:y
es
> /r:no /rs:no /hc:on /m normal /j "TapeBackup" /p "DLT" /l:s /um
> And using task scheduler.
> I was also attempting to do this with the SQL database; backing up the
> database from within the SQL server (version 8) to the hard drive, and the
n
> backing that up to tape.
> The problem is that the backup that SQL server creates is still a database
> and because its not "simple" ntbackup refuses to back it up.
> I cannot tell SQL server to automatically backup to tape, as I do not know
> the label or ID that the tape will have.
> So the question is: how can I back up the database to the same tapedrive a
nd
> tape as the rest of our data without having to do so manually.
> I appear to be using ntbackup in a way that is not really intended, but
> cannot understand how to do automated (scheduled) backups without using th
e
> /um switch - because you then need to specify which tape you want to use
> somehow.
> This would mean having a different schedule for every day of the week, eve
ry
> week of the month and every month of the year (according to our backup
> plan).
> As things are currently, I am not backing up the SQL database, which is a
> vital part of the business and this cannot be allowed to continue.
> I would be very grateful if one of you guys could shed some light on how t
o
> do this.
> Thanks.
> Lawrence

No comments:

Post a Comment