Thursday, March 29, 2012

Backing up SQL to a different server

I am trying to send backups of SQL databases and
transaction logs to a different server. I thought it
would work if the UNC name and path were used. So, first
of all, I don't if this is correct. I think it's trying
to do the backup, but the error I am getting
is "BackupDeviceFile::Backup device "\\erlfs1
\sqlbackups\..." failed to create. Operating system error
=5 (Access is denied.)" I have given the Everyone group
full control, and I still get the same error. Does anyone
have recommendations for sending backups to a different
machine?Make sure you are running SQL under a domain-level account and that the
account has permissions to create and write files on the remote location.
Logging in to the console of the SQL server as the service account and
copying files is a good way to test remote file access.
--
Geoff N. Hiten
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Senior Database Administrator
Careerbuilder.com
"teresa" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1454601c3c33c$58da9540$a601280a@.phx.gbl...
> I am trying to send backups of SQL databases and
> transaction logs to a different server. I thought it
> would work if the UNC name and path were used. So, first
> of all, I don't if this is correct. I think it's trying
> to do the backup, but the error I am getting
> is "BackupDeviceFile::Backup device "\\erlfs1
> \sqlbackups\..." failed to create. Operating system error
> =5 (Access is denied.)" I have given the Everyone group
> full control, and I still get the same error. Does anyone
> have recommendations for sending backups to a different
> machine?|||The SQL server is logged in under the domain admin account
and the domain admin has full control on the remote folder
that SQL is trying to back up to. Also, SQL Server Agent
service is started under the domain admin account and the
particular job is owned by the domain admin. I was able
to copy a file from the console to the backup server.
Looking at the event viewer, after a job has failed, one
error says "operating system eror = 5 (access is denied),"
another one says that the job failed and that it was
invoked by user 'sa'. I mention this because I don't
if 'sa' trying to invoke the job is the problem.
>--Original Message--
>Make sure you are running SQL under a domain-level
account and that the
>account has permissions to create and write files on the
remote location.
>Logging in to the console of the SQL server as the
service account and
>copying files is a good way to test remote file access.
>--
>Geoff N. Hiten
>Microsoft SQL Server MVP
>Senior Database Administrator
>Careerbuilder.com
>
>"teresa" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>news:1454601c3c33c$58da9540$a601280a@.phx.gbl...
>> I am trying to send backups of SQL databases and
>> transaction logs to a different server. I thought it
>> would work if the UNC name and path were used. So,
first
>> of all, I don't if this is correct. I think it's trying
>> to do the backup, but the error I am getting
>> is "BackupDeviceFile::Backup device "\\erlfs1
>> \sqlbackups\..." failed to create. Operating system
error
>> =5 (Access is denied.)" I have given the Everyone group
>> full control, and I still get the same error. Does
anyone
>> have recommendations for sending backups to a different
>> machine?
>
>.
>|||Ping the second server from the first using UNC (ping
Servername). If you can not ping, use the IP address (To
find IP...Ipconfig).
Second Check the the 'Domain Admins' group is added
to 'Administrators' group of the second server.
>--Original Message--
>The SQL server is logged in under the domain admin
account
>and the domain admin has full control on the remote
folder
>that SQL is trying to back up to. Also, SQL Server Agent
>service is started under the domain admin account and the
>particular job is owned by the domain admin. I was able
>to copy a file from the console to the backup server.
>Looking at the event viewer, after a job has failed, one
>error says "operating system eror = 5 (access is
denied),"
>another one says that the job failed and that it was
>invoked by user 'sa'. I mention this because I don't
>if 'sa' trying to invoke the job is the problem.
>>--Original Message--
>>Make sure you are running SQL under a domain-level
>account and that the
>>account has permissions to create and write files on the
>remote location.
>>Logging in to the console of the SQL server as the
>service account and
>>copying files is a good way to test remote file access.
>>--
>>Geoff N. Hiten
>>Microsoft SQL Server MVP
>>Senior Database Administrator
>>Careerbuilder.com
>>
>>"teresa" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>message
>>news:1454601c3c33c$58da9540$a601280a@.phx.gbl...
>> I am trying to send backups of SQL databases and
>> transaction logs to a different server. I thought it
>> would work if the UNC name and path were used. So,
>first
>> of all, I don't if this is correct. I think it's
trying
>> to do the backup, but the error I am getting
>> is "BackupDeviceFile::Backup device "\\erlfs1
>> \sqlbackups\..." failed to create. Operating system
>error
>> =5 (Access is denied.)" I have given the Everyone
group
>> full control, and I still get the same error. Does
>anyone
>> have recommendations for sending backups to a different
>> machine?
>>
>>.
>.
>sql

No comments:

Post a Comment